Product and Vendor Selection
One of the most intensive – and ultimately, important – aspects of implementing any packaged software, is the product selection process. Selecting a product results in a ten to fifteen year commitment and partnership with a software vendor. Therefore, it is important to develop a clear and specific set of requirements against which to evaluate software and vendors.
But often, organizations skip this important step, or make a selection based on a few demos from each vendor. This can result in purchasing a product from the vendor with the best sales organization, but not necessarily the best software product for you. Why should you go through a rigorous requirements development process?
- Improve the speed & quality of implementation
- Assess current and future processes
- Have a measure for evaluating the vendor offerings
- Provide vendor accountability
- Provide a foundation for future systems work
We guide organizations through a structured process of requirements development and documentation that becomes a critical part of the Vendor RFP for your software. The primary activities of this process include:
- Preparation and education of the participants for effectively identifying their business processes and critical requirements, including providing guidance in selecting appropriate participants from all parts of the organization
- Identification of the organization’s critical / unique business and technical requirements in the processes associated with functions such as Finance, Human Resources, and, for colleges and universities, Student Services
- Guidance in the creation of a request for proposal (RFP), creation of business scripts to guide vendors’ responses, and assistance and facilitation in the use of the Advantiv Decision Director tool as a vendor response forum (if desired).
- Facilitation of the final selection of a commercial package or packages
We can also guide an organization in the selection of an implementation partner that meets their cultural and technical needs